Our Lady of Perpetual Succour is open for Mass
(in line with all Government guidelines for social distancing, use of hand sanitisers etc)
on Sundays at 8am
BUT please read the new guidelines below before deciding to attend. With the risk of infection so high at present in our community, we all have a duty to act responsibly toward one another, and consider how our own actions may affect others.
Communal worship and the Government Rules
We can attend OLPS Gillingham for Sunday Mass BUT if you are over 70, have any health vulnerability or care for someone in those categories, it is NOT appropriate to attend any public gatherings, unless you have been vaccinated against Covid 19 for at least three weeks.
OLPS Gillingham has adapted its Sunday Mass: no Psalm, no Bidding Prayers, short Sermon, no Sign of Peace etc to ensure the safety of those present and minimise spread of infection. You may feel more comfortable with ‘Holy Communion by desire’ rather than at the altar rails.
- It is advised that Mass should be concluded in the shortest reasonable time.
- We must not mingle with anyone outside our household or support bubble.
- We should maintain strict social distancing at all times both inside the church and outside the church.
- It is against the law to meet socially with family or friends either indoors or outside unless they are part of your household or support bubble.
At OLPS Gillingham:
• Entrance and Exit doors to be opened at 7:50 am and no earlier
• Wear your mask – no mask means NO ENTRY
• Hand sanitisers are available at entrance and exit – PLEASE USE THEM
• If possible, use Track and Trace App – register provided for those who cannot use QR code
• Church seating has been configured to reduce the risk of contact
• There will be no reading material in church – please bring your own Missal and take it home again
• To minimise cash handling donate by BACS – Bank details on websites
• When Mass is completed, parishioners MUST move on promptly keeping socially distant, to minimise the risk of contact and spread of infection
• However cold, windy or wet, Entrance and Exit doors are to be left open during the service for circulation of air
To contribute to the upkeep of this Church, please donate by BACS – all details here.
If you would like to watch a livestream Mass, why not visit the Vatican online? Click ‘play’ below to see the Vatican live!
Spiritual Communion Prayers
You are encouraged to make a Spiritual Communion Prayer (two examples are given below) to express your intention in uniting your spirit to those of countless others who wish to support one another at this time in the love of Jesus.
My Jesus, I believe that You are truly present in the Most Holy Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I desire to receive You into my soul. Since I cannot at this moment receive you sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace you as being already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You. AmenSt Alphonsus Liguori
I wish, my Lord, to receive You with the purity, humility and devotion with which Your Most Holy Mother received You, with the spirit and fervour of the saints. Come, Lord Jesus. Give me, good Lord, a longing to be with you: give me warmth, delight and quickness in thinking upon You. And give me Your grace to long for Your holy sacraments, and especially to rejoice in the presence of Your very blessed Body, Sweet Saviour Christ, in the Holy Sacrament of the altar.St Thomas More
Usual Mass times:
- 8 a.m. every Sunday
- 8 a.m. on Holydays of Obligation
- Stations of The Cross: by arrangement
- Rosary: by arrangement
- Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament: by arrangement
- Latin Mass: by arrangement
Mass is celebrated every Sunday at 8 a.m. We have a short service which usually lasts approximately 45 minutes.
Generally our Mass is celebrated without music, except on Easter Sunday and on Christmas Day, when an unaccompanied hymn or carol (or two!) may be sung. Although we do have a small pedal-powered organ, it is very seldom played. If you would like to play it, please get in touch! We also have an electric keyboard!